"If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart."
- Nelson Mandela
Would you like to be smarter and richer than other people? Do you dream of being an amazing multi-tasker? How does extra grey matter in your brain sound? Wouldn’t it be nice to fight off dementia? Most people would love to have better memories too. How about being more attractive (possibly a lie) and interesting to other people?
These are just some of the benefits of learning foreign languages. At Thomas Alleyne's, all students have the opportunity to develop themselves by studying French.
A custom-built, one-year curriculum designed to build on everything students have covered in middle school, whilst quickly allowing all students to develop their use of complex structures and ideas in their own work. Topics include:
- La France
- Ma vie
- Les BDs adaptées au cinéma
- Les vacances
Like the majority of schools in England, we enter students for the AQA GCSE in French. There are 3 central themes, split into the following 12 topics
At the end of the two-year course, you will take individual exams in Listening, Reading and Writing, and there is a Non-Examination Assessment for speaking with your teacher.
Students who choose to continue French at A Level will follow the AQA syllabus. The core components for study include:
- Social trends and issues
- Artistic and political culture
- Book and film: Un sac de billes / La haine
There are two exams (Paper 1 for topics, Paper 2 for the book and film), as well as a Non-Examination Assessment for speaking
- SLE student exchange with young people from Limousin
- Careers guidance - exploring their own future is key to many topics, and this includes discussing different routes and options at 14 and 16
- A Level work experience trip (proposed)
- Proposed trips to Christmas markets / study trip to France in Year 11
- Entries for other languages at GCSE
- Support for German, Italian and entries for examinations
Head of Department
- Ms A Bower